Conference participants are recommended to consult our practical guide to prepare for their trip to Senegal. The information is also provided below.
Demonstrations in Dakar, scheduled for Friday 9 June and Saturday 10 June, did not take place and no demonstrations are planned for the forthcoming period. We are monitoring the security situation closely and liaising with stakeholders on the ground, including the Government of Senegal and diplomatic missions in Dakar. We continue to plan for holding the Conference, with our risk mitigation measures remaining in force.
- The Government of Senegal has been informed of the hotels being used by delegates, so that appropriate arrangements can be made for delegate security.
- Transportation is provided from focal points in and around Dakar to the Conference Centre. The bus timetable is available here, and we recommend that you make use of the transport links provided.
- The Conference Centre is located in a secure area. Security and emergency services are available on site. We recommend that as far as possible you seek to restrict your movements to the hotels and the Conference Centre, where security measures are in place.
Centre International de Conférences Abdou Diouf (CICAD)
Pôle Urbain de Diamniadio, B.P: 4026
Tel: +221 33 833 09 01
See on Google maps
Many nationalities do not require a visa to enter Senegal. Please consult the country list to check if you need a visa.
We are in contact with the Senegalese authorities on visa on arrival documentation. If you requested this documentation prior to the deadline, it will be emailed to you as soon as we receive it.
Update on visas – added in May 2023
We received new guidance from Senegal regarding visas. The updated information affects this list of countries.
If you are from one of these countries, it is recommended that you contact your nearest Senegalese embassy/consulate to request a visa on arrival. This process will be easy and quick. It would be useful if you bring the invitation letter that you have already received. The International Secretariat can provide an invitation letter upon request, contact email@example.com.
Under International Health Regulations, a certificate of yellow fever vaccination is required for travellers over nine (9) months of age who:
- Arrive from countries with risk of yellow fever transmission, and/or
- Have transited through an airport of a country with risk of yellow fever transmission.
For more information about yellow fever, malaria or other vaccines, we recommend that delegates consult the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website.
As of 16 May 2023, the Government of Senegal has lifted all health control measures and travel restrictions for COVID-19. However, should the situation evolve, travellers will need to follow local guidance and restrictions. For more information, please consult the Senegalese Ministry of Health website.
It is the delegate’s responsibility to ensure that health related safety recommendations are followed.
The currency in Senegal is the CFA franc (XOF).
We recommend delegates to exchange foreign currency for CFA francs in a reputable exchange office. ATMs are widespread and reliable in Dakar, but withdrawal limits can be quite low.
Credit cards are accepted in large establishments that welcome tourists. A commission is often added for their use. However, we advise you to have a small quantity of cash. Taxi drivers, small shops or markets will only accept cash.
Euros and US dollars are easy to exchange at most FOREX bureaus who usually offer better rates than hotels.
Blaise Diagne International Airport (Aéroport international Blaise Diagne, DSS) is the main international airport to access Dakar.
The International Secretariat does not offer free airport transfers for delegates.
Our local partner, AME Trade Senegal, can assist and propose to arrange airport transfers as per the rates indicated below. If you are interested in arranging an airport transfer, please download and complete this form and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org by 31 May 2023.
- One-way airport transfer (arrival or departure): 30,500 XOF per person (approx. USD 50)
- Return airport transfer (arrival and departure): 58,000 XOF per person (approx. USD 100)
- One-way airport transfer (arrival or departure) for max. 2 people in a private car: 49,000 XOF per transfer (approx. USD 85)
- Return airport transfer (arrival and departure) for max. 2 people in a private car: 98,000 XOF (approx. USD 165)
A number of shuttle buses will be available free of charge from Dakar to the conference centre. The shuttles are accessible to all participants. View the timetable here.
It is important to respect the bus schedule in view of traffic situation in Dakar, particularly on Tuesday 13 June as the road between Dakar and CICAD may be intermittently closed due to VIP transport.
For the duration of the Global Conference (12 – 15 June), shuttle buses will depart from nine pick-up points, across three zones in Dakar. Note that shuttles will no longer depart from the Grand Theatre. Delegates must make arrangements to find another pickup point as indicated in the shuttle bus schedule.
Dakar Plateau (central Dakar)
No other means of transport will be provided by the EITI International Secretariat to access the conference centre. Should you miss a shuttle or wish to travel at a different time, transport arrangements will be your responsibility and costs will be at your expense.
Alternative transport to/from CICAD
One alternative route to reach CICAD is the regional express train TER (Train Express Regional). The train takes 45 minutes from Dakar train station to Diamniadio train station. It departs every 20 minutes. Ticket can be bought for 1,500 XOF (approx. USD 2.50) per trip or 2,500 XOF (approx. USD 4.20) per trip for first class. For more information, visit the TER official website.
The journey from Diamniadio train station to CICAD takes approximately 10 minutes. Taxis are intermittently available at Diamniadio train station, and there is also a local bus.
The EITI will provide free shuttles buses between the Diamniadio train station and CICAD from Monday 12 June to Thursday 15 June (10:00 to 15:00).
Shuttle bus timetable
A number of shuttle buses will be available free of charge from Dakar to the conference centre. The shuttles are accessible to all participants.
Hotels in Dakar
Nearly all of hotels are located either in Central Dakar (commonly known as Dakar Plateau) or in the neighbourhood of the Almadies (close to the ocean on the far west of the peninsula). Both areas are close to all necessary services such as transport, restaurants and shops. The Almadies area is lively at night with many beachside restaurants and clubs.
How to book your accommodation in Dakar
Non-sponsored delegates are responsible for booking their own accommodation. Our local partner, AME Trade, has negotiated preferential rates with a wide range of hotels in Dakar. The hotels range from 3-star to 5-star hotels.
The list of hotels with contact information and codes to receive a discounted price is available in the practical guide.
Some hotels may raise their prices due to demand. If this occurs or if you are having difficulty communicating with a hotel, please contact our local partner at email@example.com. They will do their best to help.
All hotels listed accept credit or debit cards. Prices include breakfast and tourist tax, unless stated for single occupancy of the room. Tourist tax in Senegal is XOF 1,000 (approx. USD 1.70) per night per person.
The conference centre will only be accessible to participants whose registration has been confirmed by the International Secretariat. Onsite registration is not possible.
We recommend delegates to collect their badges as early as possible to avoid long wait times on the opening day of the Global Conference on Tuesday 13 June.
Delegates will have the opportunity to collect their badges on the following days/venues:
Sunday 11 June
14:00 – 18:00
Novotel, Dakar Plateau
Monday 12 June
07:00 – 17:00
Registration desks, CICAD
Tuesday 13 June
07:00 – 17:00
Registration desks, CICAD
Wednesday 14 June
07:00 – 17:00
Registration desks, CICAD
Thursday 15 June
07:00 – 14:00
Registration desks, CICAD
Delegates are advised to present a photo ID card. Delegates must collect their own badge and cannot collect on behalf of others.
A cloakroom service/storage facility will be available at the conference centre on the following days/times:
- Monday 12 June: 07:00 – 18:00
- Tuesday 13 June: 07:00 – 20:00
- Wednesday 14 June: 07:00 – 18:00
- Thursday 15 June: 07:00 – 17:00
During the duration of the conference, lunches, coffee and snacks will be offered to all delegates.
On Tuesday 13 June, an evening reception with light refreshments will be held at the conference centre for all delegates.
Lunch will be served at the conference restaurants for the duration of the conference (12 – 15 June). The conference centre has two catering areas:
- Savannah restaurant (open to all delegates)
- Baobab restaurant (VIP-badge holders only)
In Senegal, the supply voltage of a single voltage rated appliance is 230 V.
Most modern, digital items like laptops, cell phones or cameras are designed to be compatible with a variety of voltages (usually from 100-240 V). For more information, consult this website.
Two types of plugs are available for use at the conference centre:
Our local partner, AME Trade, offers a selection of short tours around Dakar to experience the culture, history, and cuisine of Senegal on Friday 16 June and Saturday 17 June.
If you are interested in booking a tour, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org by 31 May 2023.
Schedule A: Friday 16 June from 10:00 to 16:00
Schedule B: Saturday 17 June from 10:00 to 16:00
This guided tour of Dakar will include:
- Traditional markets
- The Presidential Palace
- The Grand Mosque
- Medina, a colourful and lively neighbourhood
- Artisanal village of Soumbédioune, see traditional fishing boats and get some souvenirs at the local craft market
- See Africa’s tallest monument “The Monument of the Renaissance”.
- Find out more about Senegal and Africa’s history as we stop at the Museum of Black Civilisations
- Lunch, pick-up and drop-off from your hotel included.
Schedule A: Friday 16 June from 09:30 to 16:00
Schedule B: Saturday 17 June from from 09:30 to 16:00
This tour of Dakar’s famous island and UNESCO World Heritage site will include:
- Departure by boat for the island of Gorée where you will arrive after 20 minutes.
- Visit of the island, historical monument of the World heritage.
- Visit of the Historical Museum (Gorée for 300 years was the most famous centre in Africa for the slave trade).
- Visit of the famous "House of Slaves" and "Fort d'Estrée".
- Walk through the alleys of Gorée to meet of the inhabitants of the island and visit the mini craft market.
- Lunch at the restaurant "Chez Thio", pick-up and drop-off from your hotel included.