Job announcement: Communications Director
The Extractives Industries Transparency Initiative (EITI) is looking a Communications Director in Oslo, Norway. This is an opportunity to work in an international and vibrant working environment helping citizens of resource-rich countries benefit from their natural resources and to work on subjects at the cutting edge of development and the extractive industry.
We offer a competitive salary and will consider requests to provide financial support to cover relocation costs based on circumstances and financial need.
The Communications Director takes responsibility for the overall direction and production of the EITI’s communications. This involves developing the strategic direction of the EITI’s core messages, raising public awareness around natural resource governance, strengthening existing and developing new forms of engagement, and promoting open data. The position includes editorial responsibilities for web, publications and media. The Communications Director also manages the communications team of the International Secretariat.
The EITI is committed to achieving diversity in terms of gender, nationality, culture and educational background. The EITI is an equal opportunities employer. Applications will be treated in confidence and will be advised on the outcome of the recruitment process.
Salaries are based on experience and in line with the EITI’s salary and benefits scheme.
- Develop and implement EITI’s communications plans to raise public awareness around the EITI and natural resource governance.
- Oversee and develop the strategic direction of the EITI’s communications channels including its website, social media and publications.
- Promote the existence and use of open data community within the EITI internationally.
- Provide strategic direction to maximize media coverage, produce media releases, and develop media contacts.
- Develop and monitor progress against key performance indicators for communications.
- Work closely with Communication Directors / Managers from partner organisations especially World Bank, Natural Resource Governance Institute, and Publish What You Pay.
- Lead the communications strategy around the EITI Global Conference.
- Lead the communications team and manage the communications budget.
- Work closely with EITI Country Managers on key messages and stories from each country, including better documentation of impact.
- Support the EITI in strengthening its internal communications within and amongst the organisation.
- Relevant university degree.
- At least 10 years working experience in the communications / PR field related to government, company, civil society organisation, or a development agency.
- Familiarity with the extractive resources sector and anti-corruption work and related journalists. Sound knowledge of development, private sector development, energy and/or natural resources management, public finance.
- Proven writing experience for external communications.
- Proven ability to develop key messages, in particular regarding development impact.
- Proven record of increasing positive exposure in similar organisations.
- Ability to work flexibly and openly with a wide range of team members, while retaining the ability to act independently.
- Excellent command of written and spoken English. French, Spanish and Russian are an advantage.
How to apply
Send your cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Communications Director” no later than close of business on 17 April 2017. Further inquiries can be directed to Brynjar Wiersholm (email@example.com), Human Resources Director at the EITI International Secretariat.