This EITI Report covers Guyana's extractive sector for the year 2017.
Guyana is located on the north-eastern Atlantic cost in South America. With a population of less than 800 000 habitants, more than one third of the population is living below the poverty line.
Guyana’s economy grew steadily in the last decade, largely based on exports of natural resources, both agricultural (mainly forestry) and mineral. In 2016, gold production made up almost 60% of total exports.
Guyana is expected to become an oil producer country by 2020, as the “Liza” project starts production. This offshore block is one of the largest oil discoveries of the past decade, with resources estimated at 2.25 to 2.75 billion oil-equivalent barrels. Exxon Mobil recently announced an investment of over $4.4 billion to develop it.
The EITI Board became EITI Candidate country in October 2017.
The Guyana multi-stakeholder group is composed of:
- Hon. Raphael G.C. Trotman Minister of Natural Resources, [In 2018, Euliene Watson replaced Minister Trotman on the MSG]
- Mr. Godfrey Statia, Commissioner-General,GuyanaRevenueAuthority
- Ms. Gillian Pollard, Deputy Director, Budget Office, Ministry of Finance
- Mr. Omar Bissoon, Chief-of-Staff, Office of the Prime Ministe
- Mr. Joslyn McKenzie, Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Natural Resources
- Ms. Hema Khan, Deputy Commissioner-General, Guyana Revenue Authority
- Mr. Tarachand Balgobin, Director, Project Cycle Management Division, Ministry of Finance
- Mr. Wallace Ng-See-Quan, Special Assistant, Office of the Prime Minister
- Mr. Hilbert Shields, Large Scale Mining, Guyana Shield’s Resources, Inc.
- Mr. Patrick Harding, Small & Medium Scale Mining, Guyana Gold & Diamond Miners Association
- Mr. Deonarine Ramsaroop, Forest Products Association of Guyana
- Mr. Jeff Simons, Oil & Gas, ExxonMobil Guyana, Ltd., [Mr. Rod Henson succeeded Jefffrom 1stJune, 2017]
- Ms. Ayaana Jean-Baptiste, Large Scale Mining, Guyana Goldfields, Ltd.
- Ms. Allison Butter-Grant, Small & Medium Scale Mining, Guyana Women Miners Organisation
- Mr. Brian Gittens, Forest Products Association of Guyana
- Mr. Ryan Ramjit, Oil & Gas, Repsol
- Mr. Curtis Bernard, Policy Forum Guyana
- Ms. Njuma Nelson, Policy Forum Guyana [Resigned, vacancy to be filled in 2018]
- Mr. Larry Carryl, Policy ForumGuyana
- Mr. Paul Atkinson, Indigenous Peoples Representative
- Mr. Mike McCormack, Policy Forum Guyana
- Ms. Gomin Camacho, Policy Forum Guyana
- Ms. Vanda Radzik, Policy Forum Guyana
- Ms. Laura George, Indigenous Peoples Representative
First EITI Report
In October 2018, Moore-Stephens was selected as the Independent Administrator to produce the first report due on 25 April 2019.
Data collection for this first report is undergoing.