The EITI International Secretariat is announcing its Annual Photo Competition. Send your best shots by 20 January.
We invite you to the Annual EITI Photo Competition. Submit a photo that captures the spirit of transparency in the extractives. Be bold and be creative.
The EITI International Secretariat is holding this competition for a second year running, as it stimulates creative ways of capturing EITI impacts from all around the world.
In last year’s competition, participants from over 20 countries sent us over 100 photos.
You can submit your photos until 20 January 2015. The competition is open to all, including stakeholders in national EITI secretariats, civil society organisations, companies and media.
Besides the fame and glory from being featured in EITI’s annual flagship Progress Report, a winner will be selected in each of the three categories who will receive a USD $1000. A certificate will be awarded to up to 10 other extraordinary photographers.
We want to see your photos showing how EITI and transparent management of natural resources look like in your country.
The three categories are:
- Public debate. Photos of natural resources management being discussed by citizens - in a public meeting or similar.
- Extracting resources. Photos of oil, gas or mining operations - industrial or small-scale.
- Transparency that matters. Photos that illustrate EITI’s aim of improving transparency of natural resources.
Submitting your photo(s)
Upload your photo(s) to http://share.pho.to or to your preferred file storage service. You can submit up to three photos per category, i.e., maximum nine.
Send an email to Shemshat Kasimova email@example.com before 20 January 2015 with the subject line “Photo Competition” and include the following:
- A link to the photo(s). Remember: please upload your photo(s) to a file storage service, such as http://share.pho.to, and send the link.
- A brief written caption that describes each photo and (if possible) identifies the people. Maximum two sentences per photo.
- You may indicate which categories you think your photos fit best for.
- The name, contact details, and short bio of the photographer.
- A statement declaring that “I hold the copyright for or have the right to use this photo, and agree to the photo being used as described the competition announcement.”
- Photos of people stand better chances of winning: Close-ups, interactions, seeing the faces.
- A story behind a photo may make up for it being otherwise not perfect: a photo taken with your smartphone may be better than one taken with an expensive camera if it captures a key moment or tells an interesting story.
- Send us the file in its original resolution, but please don’t send us the photo in the email itself (see above)!
- No photoshopping beyond technical retouching.
- We encourage all participants to also publish their photo at http://www.facebook.com/EITIorg and Instagram with a #EITI and #transparency hashtag and invite your friends and colleagues to ‘like’ it. The ‘likes’ will boost your chances of winning.
The EITI International Secretariat will judge all photos submitted, and announce the winners early February 2015.
By submitting a photo to the competition, the entrant accepts the full terms and conditions of the competition. The entrant declares to that it holds the copyright for or has the right to use this photo, and agrees to the photo being used as described. It grants the EITI International Secretariat permission to non-commercial use of the photos, including derivatives, on its social media channels, EITI website and print publications. The photographer will be credited. The entrant releases the photos under a Creative Commons BY-NC-SA 4.0 license, unless otherwise clearly stated.
This competition is held by the EITI International Secretariat and is in no way sponsored, endorsed by, or associated with, Facebook, Pho.to or any other entity.